Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Foreword to Fundamentals of Combat Modeling

As an assistant professor of mathematics at the United States Military Academy at the turn of the century, I was teaching applied mathematics for systems engineering and systems engineering management majors. I really had thought a great deal about the complexities of combat modeling, other than the applications I had used in teaching calculus and differential equation and applied as an Army Operations Research Analyst. That changed in the summer of 2002 when I began writing a curriculum and teaching combat modeling at the Army's premier entry level Operations Research course, and started developing a set of course notes for combat modeling.

As I transitioned from the military and moved into chief scientist and engineer roles in the defense industry, I was continually challenges to expand my understanding of combat modeling, as I supported the Army’s Future Combat Systems program. I also continued to expand the course notes I had started in 2002. When I finally found a way to move to Colorado (God’s country), it was as a contractor supporting the Missile Defense Agency (MDA), providing technical direction for the Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS) Threat Modeling Center.

A little over 18 months ago I started out on the adventure of compiling my course notes into a published textbook. I was recovering from a pulmonary embolism and had a lot of time to reflect on issues in combat modeling. As I write this foreword, I am recovering from a second pulmonary embolism, and I have lots of time to reflect on the people who helped me arrive to this point in my life.

First and foremost, I could not have written this without my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I know that may sound corny to those untouched by His hand, but I literally would not be here without His miraculous intervention. When I was in the valley, he lifted my eyes to the hills. The most prominent person on the hills was my bride of 28 years. Laurie is my best friend, my biggest supporter, and my greatest critic. When I look back, I see that she was right behind me in those valleys, helping me along my way. Thanks!

Dr. Bob Simmonds hired me to be the director of the Operations Research and Systems Analysis Military Application Course (ORSA MAC) I, without having met me. He took a chance on me and my wild ideas about operations research and teaching. He is a dear friend and supporter to this day.

Kent White and Skip Songy were fellow Spartans (now Cobham Analytics), intelligent colleagues and endearing friends. They had faith in me when others did not understand me.

Dr. Mikel Petty is the Director of the Center of Modeling, Simulation and Analysis (CMSA) at the University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH). He likewise took a chance on me and I was employed by him for a short time. He remains a colleague and supporter.

John Pace and Wayne Grissom are friends, colleagues, and mentors in the BMDS Threat Modeling Center. They have allowed me to bring my experience to bear and have supported my every breath.

Dr. Roger Smith is a colleague whom I greatly respect. Roger encouraged me to publish my writings.

Joe Kier is my best friend and mentor. Joe showed me what right looks like.

Mariah and Evie are two little joys in my life. Together with Laurie, they provide my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment